A Brief Parish History
St. Joseph Parish, Guelph was established in 1952 with 300 families in the parish. The original parish rectory was located at 310 Paisley Rd. At this time mass was celebrated in St. Joseph School.
The first St. Joseph’s Church in Guelph was a prefab church erected in 1953 on land donated by the Schario family. The present rectory was completed in 1954, and Office addition and renovations to the Rectory took place in 1985.
In 1964 the present church was opened at a cost of $300,000 to accommodate the growing number of parishioners. In 1980 the Church was remodeled. In 1987 an Electronic carillon was installed. 1989 Handicapped access was provided to the church hall. In 1990 a new electronic-pipe organ was dedicated. 1991 a new long-term roof was installed on the church. January of 2002 the interior of the church underwent a major renovation that included a large stained-glass window depicting St. Joseph our patron, air conditioning, new lighting, carpet and other decorative features. The work was completed by Easter 2002.
The Parish Spiritual Leaders over the years were:
- Msgr. Walter J. Hawkins (1952-1961)
- Father John A. Mattice (1961-1974)
- Father Victor W. McNamara (1974-1983)
- Father John G. Lambertus (1983-1994)
- Father Dennis J. Noon (1994-2003)
- Father Kevin Cull (2003-2004)
- Father Ken Miskiewicz (2004-2012)
- Father Leszek Szczygiel (2012-Present)
The parish has 4 Elementary Schools and 1 High School in its boundaries and 65 Public School Students attending Religious Education Classes on Tuesday evenings from September to May. We offer a Children’s Liturgy Program during the 10:15am Mass on Sunday from September to May with a total of 125 children attending.
The parish now has 4745 registered families, number of persons in our parish 13448 with an average Sunday Eucharist attendance of 2600, making St. Joseph’s the largest parish in the City of Guelph. The following is a brief outline of the number of Sacraments administered in the parish in 2016: 118 Baptisms, 117 First Communions, 128 Confirmations, 12 Marriages, 27 Funerals and 5 new Catholics received through the RCIA program.
St. Joseph’ s is very proud of our many hardworking volunteers that make this a very warm, welcoming and active parish. Without them we could not do all the things we do. The parish has an active Catholic Women’s League (established 1952), St. Vincent de Paul Society (established 1958), Parish Council (established 1962), Knights of Columbus (established 1991).